Sunday, April 27, 2008

Coming Up in May

In Vivo
Inspired by the Flickr Moleskinerie discussion, "Show us your desk or writing space with a photo." I took this picture right after reading the discussion thread, which appears on the computer screen.

Two conventions, one publication.

I haven't been on a plane in five years. This year I'm flying out to three conventions and driving to more. Keeping up with the latest travel protocols has been added to my To Do list.

May 23-26: WisCon (Madison, WI), the world's leading feminist science fiction convention. Preliminary programming has me on four panels, plus I've signed up to do a reading and will be at the Broad Universe book table. This will be my first WisCon, and I can tell I'm going to have a lot of trouble choosing among the panel offerings to attend. They rock something fierce.

Electric Velocipede #14 debuts at WisCon and contains my story "Hermit Crabs." You can see Lisa Snellings-Clark's terrific cover and pre-order the issue from here.

Three days after my return from Wisconsin, I drive out to...

May 30-June 1: The Wrath of Con in Panama City Beach. This is an Aisling Press event, so I'll be hanging out with staff and fellow Aisling authors at the sales table(s). This will also be my first trip to the Florida panhandle, so I've got my TripTik in hand.

The "Promotional Activities" link on the sidebar at right pops over to my schedule, which currently lists events through November 2008.

Thanks to Anna Lovrics, doctoral student at the University of Nottingham, UK, for including my poem "Algebraic Sestina for the Ocean" (originally posted here) in her article, "What is the connection between poetry and maths?" The article appears in the March 2008 issue of STEM Newsletter of the Wolfson Centre for Stem Cells, Tissue Engineering and Modelling at U. Nottingham.

Lovrics reported on the 49th British Applied Mathematics Colloquium, where she first learned about the sestina form in a Dynamical Systems session. I think it's way cool that a math colloquium that included applications in biology and engineering also included poetry -- and a musical performance as well. Anna also included her photograph of the Giant's Causeway in Ireland (similar to this shot from the University of Ulster), whose natural formations tie everything together beautifully.

Covenant, the first volume in the Deviations Series, is available from Aisling Press, and from AbeBooks, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Book Territory, Borders, Buecher.ch, Buy.com, DEAstore, libreriauniversitaria.it, Libri.de, Loot.co.za, Powell's Books, and Target. The Deviations page has additional details.



[end of entry]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home